This step-by-step playbook shows you the fastest, easiest, and most profitable way to break into online freelancing — no networking, no cold emails, and no website required.
James Patterson, the #1 best selling novelist of all time, once said:
“I don’t work for a living. I play.”
What if you could get paid to do what YOU love — as a side income, or even full time?
What if you could spend your days doing something that fulfills and energizes you, instead of leaving you exhausted before lunch rolls around?
What if you jumped out of bed every morning, looking forward to another day of “playing for a living”?
As an online freelancer, you can make that dream a reality. Hundreds of thousands of others have already done it, and you can, too.
Meet Carrol, a former executive assistant now living her dream as a freelance writer
Although Carrol worked in the corporate world for most of her life, she’d always dreamed of pursuing her passion — writing. But it used to feel more like fantasy than reality.
“I always wanted to make my living as a writer. I thought writing fiction was the bee’s knees but I didn’t know how to start.”
When she discovered online freelancing, everything changed. Instead of dreaming about writing from the confines of a cubicle, Carrol was able to leave the corporate world behind and follow her dreams.
“I’m happy as a clam to be able to pay the bills by doing something I truly love.”
Imagine having the freedom to control your own schedule…
What would it feel like to be able to schedule your work around your life, instead of the other way around?
Maybe you’re a morning person. Maybe you feel most “in the zone” in the afternoon — or after midnight.
As an online freelancer, you get to work only when you want to — and never when you don’t.
You can also make more time for things that are really important to you, like your family and friends, your hobbies, or even just relaxing.
Sophie earns a full-time income with part time hours (while homeschooling 5 kids)
Thanks to online freelancing, she now earns a full-time income working just part-time hours, without ever leaving home! Freelancing allows her to support her family financially, while being there for them at the same time.
“I hope that my experiences will show my children that you don’t have to be employed by somebody else, that you can do anything you want to do.”
Think about what it would be like to work from anywhere in the world…
Whether you live in the US, France, Hong Kong, Russia, Australia, Bangladesh, or anywhere else, all you need is a laptop and an internet connection.
You can even travel, or take a vacation any time you want to.
So if you prefer working from coffee shops, the comfort of your couch, or even the beach, it’s all up to you.
Freelancing gives you all the freedom in the world to design your life exactly the way you want it.
Nicholas enjoys the “digital nomad” lifestyle
Since his first time abroad, Nicholas loved the idea of living a life filled with travel and adventure. But when he first tried to turn his dream into a reality, making ends meet proved to be more of a struggle than he’d anticipated.
“I tried a bunch of different things to support myself. I couch surfed for a while in Europe and even stayed at a retreat center for a few months where I worked for room and board.”
When he learned about online freelancing, Nicholas felt like he’d finally found a way to consistently earn a living anywhere in the world. Since then, he’s used it to finance trips to Japan, Holland, Thailand, and Australia!
And let’s not forget one of the best perks: The freedom to charge what you’re REALLY worth.
With online freelancing, there are no glass ceilings, no HR-approved maximums, and no limit to how much you can earn.
Want a raise? Great — no need to walk into the boss’s office, hat in hand, looking for a 3% increase. You ARE the boss! You can raise your prices any time you want to, as often as you want to, and by any amount you desire.
Meet Oleg, a non-US freelancer who confidently commands $115/hr
When Oleg was living in a small town in Ukraine, a few hundred dollars a month was more than enough to get by. But when he moved to Moscow, one of the world’s most expensive cities, he knew he needed to raise his rate exponentially in order to thrive.
“I was charging $5/hour…but after moving I just upped my rate to $30/hour. I knew it was possible because I saw other freelancers charging at least that much, and even more.”
Since then, Oleg has continued to skyrocket his rate, and now has clients who happily pay him $115/hr for his services.
Now it’s your turn.
Regardless of who you are, where you’re from, or what your background is, freelancing may be your ticket to the income, time-freedom, and lifestyle you want and deserve.
The only question is, how do you start?
You’ll get all the answers you need right in this guide.
By the time you’re done reading it, you’ll know EXACTLY how to get your first (or next) paying client — and even your next steps to grow your freelancing business to whatever level you choose.
Remember, hundreds of thousands of others across the world have already done it. Why not you?
About me: A quick introduction
Hi, my name is Danny Margulies, and I’ve personally gone from having no freelancing experience, to earning $10,000+ per month as a freelancer, consistently and predictably.
It might help you to know that I started with no experience, no education, and no network.
In fact, right before I began freelancing, I was unemployed, had practically zero savings, and no idea where my next paycheck was coming from.
After googling around for legitimate ways to make money online (I know, a real winner move, right? But…it worked), I stumbled upon this cool, strange world of online freelancing.
And I’ve been hooked ever since.
Why did I create this guide?
A few years ago, I started Freelance To Win to show people how to succeed at online freelancing. At first, I imagined it would be a niche site with a small but loyal following of online freelancers who wanted to earn more money.
But alas, that never happened.
Instead, it EXPLODED! This “small” site turned into one of the most popular freelancing blogs on the Internet.
More than one million readers later, the message is loud and clear: people are hungry to learn how to succeed at freelancing from a source they can trust — someone who’s walked the talk and knows exactly how to do it.
That’s why I created this guide. In it, you’ll find everything you need to get your freelancing business off the ground — even if you haven’t started yet, or you don’t think you have a skill people would pay you for.
Let’s get started.
The Ultimate Guide to Getting Your First (Or Next) Freelance Job
Chapter 1: How to uncover valuable skills people will happily pay you for (even if you don’t think you’re an “expert” at anything)
- Why you don’t need to be an “expert” to start freelancing (hint: many clients aren’t even looking for experts)
- How one amateur turned his passion into an $85/hr freelancing business — and how you can, too
- What clients really look for in a new freelancer, and how you can offer it right now to make yourself more valuable than your competitors (even more experienced ones)
- Specific ideas for in-demand services anyone can get paid to do right away
- My simple trick for identifying hidden skills people will happily pay you for, even if you think you’re not good at anything
- A surefire way to break into freelancing quickly and easily, even if you have ZERO skills (you’ll even meet a college dropout who gets paid hundreds of dollars per hour for a service he didn’t know existed a few years ago)
- My favorite “go-to” service that anyone can learn in just a few days
- And more…
Chapter 2: The only piece of advertising material you’ll ever need…and no, it’s not a website
- Why most “conventional wisdom” about where to find clients is outdated and ineffective — and where you should look instead
- How to create an online freelancing profile that outshines your competitors and attracts clients in droves
- Why you don’t need to spend a ton of time creating the “perfect” profile (and what to do instead)
- 3 power profile “levers” that will help you shine up your profile in minutes
- Common “profile killer” traps and pitfalls, and how to avoid them
- 3 proven tactics for writing a Title that stands out and grabs attention (including multiple examples)
- REAL examples of awesome profiles that will show you exactly how it’s done
- How one new freelancer used her profile to quickly land a $900 gig
- A scientifically proven way to instantly build trust with clients and get hired quickly
- And more…
Chapter 3: Proposals that make clients say, “Take my money!” (even if you’ve never freelanced before)
- The 3 key components of a winning proposal
- How to quickly write proposals that stand head and shoulders above even your most experienced competitors
- How to quickly win clients over without an ounce of “selling”
- How to get hired even if you don’t have any experience (hint: “qualifications” aren’t nearly as important as you might think)
- The most common proposal killers, and how to avoid them
- Why most proposals get ignored — and how to make sure yours stands out and grabs attention
- 3 powerful tactics that make clients want to hire you (even if you’ve never been hired before)
- A real example of a winning proposal that got me a $300 offer within MINUTES
- How to prove you can do the client’s job (this works like magic, even if you’ve never done a similar job before)
- 3 things you should never say in your proposal, and what to say instead
- And more…
Chapter 4: Recap + next steps for growing your freelance business
Now that you’ve got your freelancing business off the ground, it’s time to scale your income for long-term profitability. In this chapter, we’ll recap everything you’ve learned, and show you exactly what your next steps should be.