There are 2 basic stories you can tell yourself (and/or other people) about freelancing.
- It’s hard to find clients.
- There’s too much competition.
- There aren’t enough high paying clients.
- I can’t compete against people with more experience, more credentials, etc.
- Clients always want to pay the smallest amount possible.
- I can’t compete against people who charge less than I do.
- Good clients are hard to find.
- Clients don’t want to pay me what I’m worth.
- Great clients are literally everywhere.
- I decide how much I get paid.
- Most clients are happy to pay more for quality.
- There are tens of millions of great clients waiting to meet me right now.
- Clients say their number-one challenge is finding good freelancers to hire! They’ll be thrilled to meet me.
- I can get tons of great clients without ever competing on price.
- Clients don’t really care how much experience I have as long as I do good work, care about helping them win, and make their life easier.
- There is an enormous and ever-expanding supply of great clients for anyone who wants them.
- Clients like to pay more if they know they’re getting quality in return.
- I can make a fantastic living freelancing with just a handful of great clients.
Two things to keep in mind:
- You can choose whichever story you want to.
- Whichever one you believe will be the one that is true for you.
Which story do you want to choose?
Leave a comment below and tell me your thoughts.
(Flickr Creative Commons image via Phil Shirley)